It’s that time of year again, here at Closet & Storage Concepts of Charlotte, North Carolina. Spring is here and that means its time for a house-wide overhaul, where you really clear out and clean up the grime and dust of the past year. While spring cleaning is rarely fun for anyone, there’s no denying its usefulness, as giving your home a thorough cleaning, down to the foundations, is a great way to prepare yourself for less fuss and hassle when it comes to cleaning throughout the rest of the year. The main problem for many people though, is that spring-cleaning is such a daunting task that they’re unsure of where to start! That’s why we’ve put together this ultimate spring-cleaning checklist to help you make the most of your seasonal purge.
- Clean walls, ceilings, and baseboards. These areas are often neglected during regular cleanings throughout the year
- Wash window screens and exteriors. This will also bring natural light into your home.
- Clean out your fridge. Get rid of all that old food and give all the doors and compartments a thorough scrub down in order to eliminate any stray germs or odors.
- Clear books out from shelves and dust everything. Don’t forget to dust the books themselves as well, since if you haven’t cracked them open in a while they’re likely to be musty.
- Reseal Grout. Grout can stain and become porous, so apply grout sealer in order to keep your tiles spic and span.
- Discard Expired Products. Throughout the year things that you’ve had for a long time and haven’t used tend to go bad. Don’t hang on to old and expired products, whether it be cosmetics, cleaning supplies, food, or anything else.
- Polish metal and wax wood. Don’t simply go with an all-purpose cleaner here, but give your furniture a true cleaning with polish in order to let it shine.
- Shampoo and vacuum rugs. While you may vacuum regularly, giving your rugs a deeper clean with a thorough shampoo will extend their lifespan and leave your home smelling fresh.
- Organize your files. Take this opportunity to go through old paperwork and get rid of things you don’t need, while accurately organizing those you do. Digitize things that you want to have backups of and upload them to cloud storage to keep them safe from things like fire or breaking hard drives.
- Dust everywhere. Event the little places that are hard to reach or rarely see the light of day. Clearing out the dust and grime will make it easier to do quick cleans throughout the year and contribute to the air quality of your home.
- Donate what you don’t need. It’s easy to become a packrat over the course of the year, so take this opportunity to get rid of the clutter and give your unused items to those who need them more.
- Clean your storage areas. Be it an attic, basement, or closet, your storage areas spend most the year untouched and can build up lots of grit and grime in that time period. Don’t forget to freshen up these areas during spring cleaning to prevent infestations and mildew.
For more cleaning and organization tips, visit Closet & Storage Concepts of Charlotte, North Carolina today! We specialize in custom closets, built-in office furniture, and more.
Photo © djedzura.