When the busy holiday season rolls around, you don’t want to waste time searching your Charlotte home for an unlabeled box of ornaments or a working string of lights. Storing your holiday supplies in an organized, accessible fashion can help minimize stress and streamline holiday prep. If you’re not sure where to start, here are a few tips from the team at Closet & Storage Concepts of Charlotte:
- When storing string lights, remember to test each strand before putting it away. Replace individual bulbs that have burned out, or if the entire string is broken, throw it away. To store a working string, wrap it in a loop and tie the ends around the middle of the loop to keep it secure, then place it in its own plastic bag so it won’t get tangled. Place all the bags in a storage container with any extra bulbs.
- Use a segmented box (such as a wine box, plastic apple container, or egg carton) to store ornaments of various shapes and sizes. Wrap each in newspaper or tissue paper, and be sure to store the box in a safe place with consistent temperature and humidity (like in a closet or under a bed).
- Prepare for the gift-giving season by putting together a gift-wrapping kit. Find a container that is large enough to store wrapping paper rolls, tissue paper, scissors, string, bows, and tape. Keep them all together in one place so that wrapping presents are fast and easy. Or, if you have too many rolls of wrapping paper to fit in a normal container, try this trick: stuff your rolls into a clear zippered garment bag and hang them in a closet! If you have a dedicated crafting room, we can help you set up a gift-wrapping station with a dedicated area for wrapping paper, ribbons, and bows.
- When storing cardboard boxes or plastic containers of holiday supplies, labeling is essential! Clearly mark each box with a note about what’s inside, and if possible, use clear plastic containers so you can see the contents. This will make it easier to find what you need during the next holiday season.
- Install custom storage systems in your home to make it easier to organize and access your holiday decorations. The Closet & Storage Concepts experts can help you design the perfect storage system for your closet, garage, office, or basement, so you’ll always know where to find your holiday supplies!
Ready to get organized for the holidays? Give Closet & Storage Concepts a call! We make the process easy by offering free consultations in the greater Charlotte area.