Is your closet constantly crowded and cluttered? Have trouble finding things and getting dressed efficiently in the morning? And what about when you re-organize it — just gets disordered again right away, right? Unfortunately, no matter how many times you re-organize your closet, storage tubs, and “hanging shelves” can only get you so far. The best way to have an amazingly organized closet is to have one custom designed for you. Luckily, that’s what the team here at Closet & Storage Concepts Colorado specializes in, and we would be excited to help you make your closet dreams come true.
What Is a Custom Designed Closet?
Custom designed closets are closets that have been planned and built based on your specific closet and storage needs. For most people, a custom designed closet is in the bedroom and houses clothes, shoes, accessories (belts, ties, hats, scarves, jewelry, purses, luggage, etc.), and other personal items. But you can create a custom designed closet for anything. You might benefit from a personally catered closet in your entryway, home office, kitchen, laundry room, or any number of other locations.
Steps to Building a Custom Designed Closet
1. Hire a well-qualified closet designer/builder. You’ll need to start by hiring a company who specializes in custom designed closets. Unlike building a home or an out building, closet design takes a delicate hand and strict attention to detail. Call the Closet & Storage Concepts team to get started.
2. Understand your basic needs. In designing your closet, you’ll need to do some soul-searching. When it comes to your closet needs, ask yourself:
- What do you primarily use your closet for?
- Does someone else (for example, a spouse) share the closet with you?
- How much bigger will your new closet need to be compared to your current closet?
- What do you always reach for that you can never find in your closet?
- What don’t you currently have storage for that you wish you did?
- Which closet feature have you always wanted but haven’t had space for?
3. Get the details down. Now for the specifics. The goal with a custom designed closet is to meet the exact needs you have. Are your shoes getting scuffed and beaten up because they’re all piled on the floor? You need organized shoe storage. Never able to find a good outfit because you can barely get your fingers in between the clothes you have hanging? Dual wardrobe rods to the rescue! Jewelry always in a tangled mess? It’s time for a custom jewelry drawer in your dresser.
Here are some tips you’ll want to consider to maximize storage space and make everything easier to see and have access to:
- Use every inch of space you have, floor to ceiling.
- Leave shelving open, or use glass doors so you can easily see everything and keep the space feeling less cramped.
- Consider putting a full-length mirror on the closet door or, if you have the space, a stand-alone mirror.
- If there’s space, add an chic boutique-style island to isolate your accessories and have counter space to fold, lay out outfits, and display personal items.
- Include a comfortable bench or seat where you can put on shoes without having to bend to the floor.
- Focus on neutral colors to keep it visually clean, but don’t be afraid to add a splash of color and personality.
4. Work with your closet designer and builder. Throughout the entire process of creating a custom designed closet, remember that your greatest resource is always going to be your closet builder. They can tell you what will work and what won’t, make suggestions on drawer and shelf options, and use their prior knowledge and experience.
Ready to get started?
Contact us today or call the showroom at (303) 682-4052 to meet with one of our closet specialists for an in-home design consultation and start planning your custom closet today!