Tackling home renovation projects can get pushed to the wayside when you get busy and when there are other more important commitments for your family. At Closet & Storage Concepts Philadelphia, we want to help you Make Room For Life® in the easiest way possible. When it comes to roadblocks when you’re decluttering, find out ways to overcome them for a neater home.
1. Partners who aren’t on the same page
Not being on the same page as your partner can be frustrating since you’ll need their input to declutter and organize their things, but don’t let this get you down. Start by focusing on what you can accomplish on your own. Your partner may be inspired by your changes and come around. It may take some additional communication to help understand why your partner may not be ready to tackle decluttering and organization.
2. Young kids
Kids can make it a bit tougher to clutter but think about it as an opportunity to connect and complete a project together. Depending on the ages of your kids, you may need to use some different strategies. You may need to help guide kids depending on their experience or take more frequent breaks for younger kids.
3. Time commitment
Decluttering your entire home can take a couple of hours or a couple of months depending on how much you’re looking to declutter. This can be daunting for even professionals. Use different ways to declutter by breaking up sessions into smaller sections such as by categories like the Marie Kondo method, by room, by an individual (or pet!), or by scheduling several sessions to help you stay on it.
4. Getting overwhelmed
Decluttering can be emotional, especially if you’re going through personal or sentimental items. If you find that you are stalling, try overcoming it using these solutions:
- Completely stop decluttering and take a 15-minute break
- Consider taking a day or two away from decluttering, but make sure you set a time to come back to the project
- Try moving to a different category or room and come back to the sentimental items that you’re having trouble with
- Don’t let perfect get in the way of better. Keep in mind that decluttering is a journey. It may never be perfect. Just remember to try your best
- Get support and call a friend. Take a break and get help from a friend or family member. Bringing in help can help shift your perspective and get over the hump.
Enlist the Help of Experts
Get help organizing all of your items! Closet & Storage Concepts is proud to be your local South Jersey and Philadelphia home storage experts. We have more than 30 years of experience in designing, crafting, and installing custom closets, office desks, and other built-ins. Call or visit our Marlton, NJ showroom today!
Photo credits: © iStock/KatarzynaBialasiewicz. ©iStock/LucynaLewandowska.